Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10397/76196
Title: Comparative proteomic studies of a Scrippsiella acuminata bloom with its laboratory-grown culture using a N-15-metabolic labeling approach
Authors: Tse, SPK 
Lo, SCL 
Keywords: Scrippsiella acuminata
Scrippsiella trochoidea
Dinoflagellates
Protein expression
Harmful algal bloom
Issue Date: 2017
Publisher: Elsevier
Source: Harmful algae, 2017, v. 67, p. 26-35 How to cite?
Journal: Harmful algae 
Abstract: Comparative proteomic analysis was carried out using cells isolated from a natural bloom of Scrippsiella acuminata (formerly Scrippsiella trochoidea) in the early bloom (EB) and late bloom (LB) stages as well as with laboratory-grown cultures of cells isolated from the bloom in early growth (EG) and late growth (LG) stages. For quantitative proteomics, LG cells were grown for 20 generations in the presence of N-15 as a reference (i.e. common denominator) for all comparison. In comparisons with early growth laboratory grown cells (EG/LG), nearly 64% of proteins identified had similar abundance levels, with the remaining 36% mostly more abundant in EG cells. Calvin cycle, amino acid metabolism, chlorophyll biosynthesis and transcription/translation were among the up-regulated processes. Cells from the early bloom (EB/LG) had a greater abundance of transporters and enzymes related to light harvesting and oxidative phosphorylation, while the abundance of these proteins decreased in late bloom cells (LB/LG). All natural bloom samples showed either constant or lower abundance levels of enzymes involved in sugar synthesis and glycolytic pathways compared to laboratory grown cells. Our results represent the first examination of the proteomic changes in the development of a natural dinoflagellate bloom. Importantly, our results demonstrate that the proteome of cells grown in the laboratory is distinctively different from cells in a natural bloom.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10397/76196
ISSN: 1568-9883
EISSN: 1878-1470
DOI: 10.1016/j.hal.2017.05.009
Appears in Collections:Journal/Magazine Article

Access
View full-text via PolyU eLinks SFX Query
Show full item record

SCOPUSTM   
Citations

3
Last Week
0
Last month
Citations as of Dec 6, 2018

WEB OF SCIENCETM
Citations

3
Last Week
0
Last month
Citations as of Dec 13, 2018

Page view(s)

10
Citations as of Dec 9, 2018

Google ScholarTM

Check

Altmetric


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.